FOREWORD: As you'll notice navigating from the end of last week to the beginning of this week, there was an arrival of noodle soups and popsicles...yep, I got sick. So something that always happens as I start to recover from an illness is intense cravings for foods I definitely should not eat (for a variety of reasons, but mostly because I'm just getting past sickness). So I'll make my formal and public apology to you, to myself, to whomever: I ate at KFC.
The first trip (last week, Saturday) was for mashed potatoes and gravy. It did the trick, soft, warm, but with some flavor. It got me feeling like I'd had this infection kicked. Then the craving came. Sometimes it's a burger and fries, sometimes it's pizza, but this time it was fried chicken. Not just any fried chicken either, Original Recipe. That magical blend of spices, that greasy skin. So I did it. To prove to myself that I was on the mend, that I was back. And I'm sorry. I'll be the first guy to talk about why we shouldn't eat at these places or support what they're doing to people, to local business, to high school kids that could work someplace awesome and fun instead.
Was it worth it? Heck no. The first bite or two brought back memories, but at this point I know too much. I know how these chickens are made, held, processed. It kinda grossed me out. I didn't finish the chicken (but darn if those biscuits aren't tasty).
Ok, back to it then....
Week 29 (July 11 – 17)
KFC - July 11
823. KFC Two Piece, Mac n Cheese, Mashed Potatoes from Kentucky Fried Chicken @ Home (Phoenixville, PA) 12:34 p.m.
824. Two Slushy Pops @ Home (Phoenixville, PA) 1:16 p.m.
825. Italian Hoagie from Bravo Pizza (Phoenixville, PA) 7:22 p.m.
Super Veggie Wrap - July 12
826. White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Clif Bar @ Home (Phoenixville, PA) 10:22 a.m.
827. Split Pea Soup & Super Veggie Wrap @ Kimberton Whole Foods (Kimberton, PA) 1:06 p.m.
828. Sicilian Slices & French Fries from Rocco’s Pizza (Phoenixville, PA) @ Home – 6:27 p.m.
Burgoo - July 13
829. Apple & Soft Pretzel @ PA Turnpike (Westerly, PA) 9:22 a.m.
830. Old Wisonsin Beef Sticks & Oatmeal Raisin Walnut Clif Bar @ Rt 64 W (Fueltown,
WV) 1:38 p.m.
831. Burgoo @ Billy’s BBQ (Lexington, KY) 8:12 p.m.
Billy's - July 13
832. BBQ Beef Plate w/ Potato Salad, Green Beans, & Mexican Corn Bread @ Billy’s BBQ (Lexington, KY) 8:21 p.m.
Small Plates from 732 Social @ Louisville Beer Store - July 14
833. Spaghetti @ The Office (Lexington, KY) 11:12 a.m.
834. Snickers Bar @ Kinko’s (Louisville, KY) 5:48 p.m.
835. – Array of Small Plates from 732 Social @ Louisville Beer Store (Louisville,
- Cast Charred Green Asparagus, Wilted Onions, Butternut Hollandaise
- BBQ Pork & Cabbage
- Potatoes Au Gratin w/ Smoked Bacon
- Preserved Apple, Brussels Sprouts, Candied Black Walnuts
- Mac & Cheese: Cavatapi, Bechamel, Rock Shrimp
836. French Fries @ Monkey Wrench (Louisville, KY) 8:56 p.m.
Breakfast au Continental - July 15
837. Frosted Flakes & Banana Walnut Muffin @ Best Western Hotel (Louisville, KY) 8:38
838. Cheese Coney & Chili 3-Way @ Skyline Chili (Covington, KY) 1:02 p.m.
Gold Star Coneys - July 16
839. 3 Cheese Coneys @ Gold Star Chili (Covington, KY) 12:04 a.m.
840. One Chocolate Chip Cookie @ Double Tree Hotel (Hebron, KY) 11:43 a.m.
GLT - July 16
841. GLT (Goetta, Lettuce, Tomato) w/ Fried Egg and side of Cole Slaw at Anchor Grill (Covington, KY) 1:38 p.m.
842. – Dinner from Three Amigos (Florence, KY) –
Cactus & Tongue Tacos - July 16
- Cactus Taco
- Beef Tongue Taco
- Mole Poblano w/ frijoles y arroz
Deluxe Pho - July 17
843. Beef Jerky & Chocolate Chex Bar @ The Road (Somewheres, OH) 10:48 a.m.
844. Rock & Rolls @ Green Papaya (Exton, PA) 5:12 p.m.
845. Deluxe Pho @ Green Papaya (Exton, PA) 5:21 p.m.
846. Slushy Pop @ Home (Phoenixville, PA) 6:18 p.m.
847. Rocket Pop @ Home (Phoenixville, PA) 8:26 p.m.
File under: In it's presence, but did not eat.
I present the Monkey Wrench 'Mig Back': Two patties (look close, it's a double decker), special sauce, lettuce, tomato on a...bun.
The Band @ Anchor Grill
What's Cincinatti Chili?
What's a Coney?